What is it?
Dark Land is a side-scrolling runner where you jump over or slide under traps and obstacles as well as attack and defend against various monsters. It is basically Dark Souls meets Happy Wheels. You earn (or purchase) gems and spend them to upgrade your health, attack, and agility (though I still don’t know what upgrading your agility does).
- It has both set levels that increase in difficulty and skill required as well as a survival mode where you run and fight for as long as you can.
- The bosses are fun and challenging.
- The game play is difficult but it requires skill more than luck.
- It’s free, there are no ads, and it’s not pay to win.
- While I like the survival mode more than the normal levels, they get redundant too quickly.
- It requires two hands to play, and you have to hold the device sideways.
- Precision movements + well-hidden traps = unexpected clenching.
I played Dark Lands a lot, but after a while, it was to prove to myself that I could beat the level rather than playing it for enjoyment. If the Dark Souls x Happy Wheels pitch doesn’t sell you, don’t feel bad skipping this one. If that comparison does interest you at all, definitely give it a download.